Insha'Allah all is well with you and yours.
I have been researching and experimenting with essential oils for years now. There are a lot of blogs and such online that provide recipes and concoctions but I like to make sure I have science to back it up so I am including some resources for you to learn in depth about the essential oils I recommend.
I like to use various essential oils for aromatherapy and in green (earth friendly) cleaning products, recently I started incorporating them in homemade toiletries and beauty products. There are so many benefits derived from essential oils (subhan'Allah) its hard to talk about it in just one blog post, I will do my best to write more posts regarding essential oils in the near future insha'Allah :)
In this post I will share with you cleaning recipes using a select few essential oils. I started making my own cleaning products after my fist child was born because I was concerned about the chemicals in most store brought cleaning products.....
The essential oils I tend to use most are...
1. Tea tree oil: Anti-inflammatory, antifungal (general), antimicrobial.
Tea Tree Oil Mayo Clinic info
2. Eucalyptus oil: Topical antiseptic...inhalation therapy for asthma, cough, sore throat.
NYU Langone Medical Center Eucalyptus info
3. Lemon oil: Aromatherapeutic, reduces anxiety, mood enhancer.
Alternative Medicine Expert Lemon info
I bought lavender oil before but was shocked to find it smelled NOTHING like lavender scented products from the store! The essential oil is definitely not as fragrant as I'd hope it to be but beyond the smell lavender does have a lot of uses/benefits, so I may give it another try soon insha'Allah.
Now the three essential oils listed above are my favorite to work with because they are so versatile. Lemon oil is used in my house mainly as a deodorizer, it also neutralizes the scents of the tea tree oil and the eucalyptus (these can be pretty strong in scent although I love the smell of eucalyptus, for beginners balancing the smell may prove beneficial). On to the good stuff, cleaning uses.....
1. Disinfectant Cleaner:
- 1 part vinegar (don't despair, the smell of the vinegar fade as it dries)
- 1 part water (distilled preferred but tap water can be used)
- few drops of tea tree oil (start with 3-5 because the smell can be intense)
2. Floor Cleaner/Mopping
- 1-2 tablespoons unscented liquid soap
- 4 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 3/4 cup Grapeseed oil, (jojoba oil or olive oil can be used instead)
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 30 drops lemon essential oil
3. Dusting Spray/Wood Cleaner
- 4 ounces grapeseed oil, or jojoba oil
- 2 Tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 20-30 drops lemon essential oil