Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My (no caramel) Caramel Custard Recipe

Assalamu'alaikum!

This is my (simple) recipe for caramel custard also known as flan. I consider this simple because I don't make the caramel, I use honey instead and it tastes just as good. Enjoy!

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

-4 eggs
-2 cups milk (I like to use whole milk)
-1/3-1/2 cup brown sugar (I use 1/2 cup but if you dont want it too sweet 1/3 cup is fine)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-(optional) tip of the teaspoon orange extract. I use clean orange peel that I have dried and then processed as orange extract.

Your choice of honey, agave, or maple syrup to lightly coat the bottom of a ROUND glass casserole dish. (I use a little less than 1/4 cups worth).

Baking pan filled with water to place the casserole dish in (make sure not to over fill it with water so that when you place the casserole dish in it it doesn't overflow and pour out). This technique is known as the Bain-Marie method (French) and/or the Water bath method.

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the eggs and sugar. Slowly add the milk, vanilla extract (and orange extract if using).
Coat the bottom of your casserole dish with honey (or whatever you choose as a syrup). Now pour the custard mix over the coating and place in middle of water filled baking pan.

Carefully walk it over to oven and bake for 30-40 min. You will know it is done when it appears puffed up, also if you gently pat the middle of it it feels firm.

Take out of oven and let cool. You can place it in the fridge once cooled for 2+ hours. When serving gently separate the edges from the dish with the back of a spoon and carefully flip the caramel custard onto your serving dish.

Voila!

(No caramel) Caramel Custard!


-Halal Homemaker <3

No comments:

Post a Comment